The Legal bit

All rights reserved by the writer of this blog as recipes printed here are either devised and adapted by the writer or reproduced by kind permission of friends or family and cannot be reproduced without the expressed written permission of the writer. All Photographs are not to be reproduced anywhere without written permission from the owner.

Recipe links are provided for recipes that have been found elsewhere on the WWW and it would be appreciated for others people to do the same and give recognition to the author of recipes.

16/03/2010

Curries, Stews and Casseroles

Click on the links below to go to that recipe:


Chicken and Butternut Squash Curry a mild curry with a rich creamy coconut gravy





Sausage Casserole





Beef Stew and dumplings


I love to cook curries, stews and casseroles especially in the autumn and winter months. There is something about the cold weather that makes these dishes heart warming and welcoming.

I find making stews and curries in the slow cooker it allows me to use tougher cuts of meat as they breakdown and become delicious and tender slowly cooked over a period of several hours, cooking vegetables at the same time all in one pot. Often preparing on the morning, switching on and leaving on all day while I get on with other jobs I found it handy when I was working but also cheap way of cooking, now I watch the pennies it is even better.


Curries
I rarely cook curry in any other way than a slow cooker. I serve them with either boiled rice or freshly made naan bread, small amounts of meat, vegetables and spices can be added to either naans or rice if I wish when I make them myself. I had tried to make naan bread with reasonable success before I discovered a wonderful lady's site called Mamta's Kitchen which has fantastic authentic recipes for Indian cuisine, since trying her recipe I would never buy another Naan. Her site is well worth a visit.


Stews and Casseroles

Although stews are supposedly cooked on the top of a stove and casseroles in the oven the term stew is often used for an oven dish too however casserole seems not to be used for a stove top dish.

Stews and casseroles usually have vegetables cooked at the same time although sometimes I steam vegetables over potatoes if I’m serving mash with the dish. I love to serve stews with either loads of mash, especially if making dumplings as well or lots of fresh chunky bread.


If I’m going to put dumplings with a stew or casserole I cook it in a low to moderate oven of around 160
°C for approximately 2-2 ½ hours adding the dumpling for the last 25 minutes. I make it this way because I find I cannot make dumplings in my slow cooker, they are no where near as light and fluffy with a crispy browned top as when cooked in the oven. Although there are many people who swear by dumplings made in their own slow cookers.