The Legal bit

All rights reserved by the writer of this blog as recipes printed here are either devised and adapted by the writer or reproduced by kind permission of friends or family and cannot be reproduced without the expressed written permission of the writer. All Photographs are not to be reproduced anywhere without written permission from the owner.

Recipe links are provided for recipes that have been found elsewhere on the WWW and it would be appreciated for others people to do the same and give recognition to the author of recipes.

27/03/2010

Crab

Yesterday I was kindly given a pair of crabs which I was keen to accept, not phased by the fact they were still alive. I had no problem with cooking and dressing them I had known how to do this for many years learning at the apron strings of many mothers, not just my own, while spending my early summers in a seaside village.

I have been brought up to put them in the freezer for 20 minutes this sends them to sleep and then plunge them into boiling water bring the water back to the boil and cook for 15 minutes plus 5 minutes per pound. However I find this method seems to loose the legs from the shell and then water seeps in.

Killing them first seems to avoid the legs being shed. Turn the crab upside down and lift the flap of shell at the back. this reveals a hole in the shell to which you take a screwdriver and placing it into the hole tap sharply with a hammer and you should fell it hit the back of the shell. Sharply move the screwdrver handle to the back of the crab and then remove it turn the crab the right way up and leave to drain on kitchen paper. Cook as before by plunging into boiling water bringing back to the boil and cooking fort 15 minutes plus 5 minutes per pound.

Delia smith shows how to dress a crab on her website better than I feel I could explain it and with pictures. Although I must admit I tend to seperate the meats in to brown and white and use accordingly.

Once the crabs were cooked I used them to make crab cakes, crab linguine, crab with salad and bread and butter and finally some crab meat on toast for a lovely supper.