The Legal bit

All rights reserved by the writer of this blog as recipes printed here are either devised and adapted by the writer or reproduced by kind permission of friends or family and cannot be reproduced without the expressed written permission of the writer. All Photographs are not to be reproduced anywhere without written permission from the owner.

Recipe links are provided for recipes that have been found elsewhere on the WWW and it would be appreciated for others people to do the same and give recognition to the author of recipes.

11/03/2010

Costing recipes

A friend recently was once talking about recipes and she knew to the penny how much the ingredients cost to make all her dishes. I can mentally think about the ingredients and tell someone roughly but I was really impressed with her methods.

My friend keeps receipts from shopping and checks to see what has changed. I don’t think she does this religiously every week but put her receipts aside until she had a quiet moment to sit down to check. I used to price all my containers in costs per ounce when I was newly married. But over the years, through lack of time and a bigger budget to work with, I had got out of the habit. Although I still had a fair idea of prices and had a fair idea of my recipe costs as already said.

Being on a very low income now, I thought it was an excellent idea and as it is that time of year when I get the spring cleaning bug I decided that one of my jobs was to sort out all my cupboards and price my entire food store.

I designed and completed a spread sheet that listed everything then went through receipts I had in my handbag and purse and jotted down the prices. The items that I didn’t have the prices for and there were quite a few I checked on the supermarket websites. So although some wouldn’t have cost me as much as I had on the spread sheet at least all my cupboard contents were up to current prices.
It took a couple of days to complete but now all I have to do is put in the price of the bought item and the size of the pack I bought. The spread sheet does the rest.

My recipe collection has recipes in metric, imperial and cup measurements. To make pricing recipes easier I then got the spread sheet to work out the prices of 25grams, 1 ounce, individual (lemons for example) and ‘different measurements’.
On the same spreadsheet I have a tool that then works out the costs for the recipes for me.

Also although I have access to a lot of free eggs, herbs, fruit and vegetables I will cost up recipes to include supermarket prices for these items.